Friday, July 11, 2008

Thing 10: Wikis

I created a wiki this fall for helping to schedule my parent teacher conferences.

Before I used a wiki, I would email 100 parents and ask them to email me a time to meet, then I would have to schedule them in and then email back with a confirmed time. If I had a secretary to help me manage this system this would be okay, but I don't. This would take me hours to do above and beyond my hours dedicated to my students each week.

Now that I have a wiki created I just send out the link with the calendar on it and my parents can sign themselves up for a conference. It manages itself - I LOVE it! Parents can cancel and resign up if needed and I am out of the loop with arranging schedules. It has saved me hours of extra work.

I used PBwiki to create my wiki & you view it online at: http://giftedhighlands.pbwiki.com/?full_access=BzqB6wFAoP&l=S

I will eventually update it for my early conference schedule, but since I am technically still on summer vacation this will wait until late August.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great application of the wiki! I wonder if you can find any uses to use with your students this year?