Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thing 4: Flickr


I am trying to think of ways I could integrate using http://www.flickr.com/ within my reading program, and I think one of the ways if for my students to share their personal reading histories. In other words, for example students can select their top 10 books that they feel changed them as a person after reading. This list could grow or modify over their three years with me but it would be an online portfolio almost demonstrating the students personal likes in reading. I am okay with doing this since it is photos of objects and not people.

Madeline Island 040 by tnombobbluem Tagged with island, madeline Taken on June 7, 2006, uploaded July 23, 2006

I ended up doing a search of the place where my summer home is and I love it up there in the summer time and I found that lots of people had shared scenic photos of Madeline Island in Wisconsin. I borrowed one of the photos to share on my blog to see how easy it was to post a photo on a blog. The photo is taken from the bay where my cabin is located and you can see our cabin in the background.

I have not used Flickr until today, I personally use Snapfish http://www.snapfish.com/ to warehouse my family photos. I like Snapfish because I can share my albums with family and friends. Since I am not comfortable with having photos of me all over the public Internet, I like that I only provide access to those who I want to share my photos with others.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Erica,
I too use Snapfish as well as Flickr.
Flickr does have an option to make the photo only accessible for Friends and or Family, but it requires you to create accounts and is not the most user friendly for the friend, unless they're on Flickr as well. I do like the ability to apply Creative Commons licensing on Flickr.