Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing 12: More Social Media

Okay, I am not sure I really get this activity but I did a little work.

I decided to try Reddit and I typed in “kid book club” in the search field, which I assume tracks the tags that match up with these words. Then on the first page of hits there look something interesting about online book clubs, and I found BookSprouts Now this is the kind of site I would like to encourage my students to try and use. So maybe this would be helpful for me when searching for sites, I guess I just don't understand how this works differently than a search engine with tags. I guess it is the voting aspect if the site was useful or not, then social interaction where people get to vote.

On Digg, Newsvine, Mixx I also did the same search using the tags “kid book club” and I didn’t locate anything. But maybe I don’t get the purpose of the sites, as a teacher I need to find student or child related sites and I seemed to come across so much inappropriate media and sexual related links that I am not sure that I would use these again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Booksprouts sounds like a much better bet!