Friday, July 11, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

My reflections on email, IM, text messaging, and web conferencing....

1. Email...I like the tips on ways to not let email run your job. I liked the five tips at Five fast email productivity tips I think I already do some of them such as pick off easy ones...such as the 1-2 line response ones and get those off my plate.

2. IM...I have done Yahoo! Messenger in the past with our former German au pairs when they are back in Germany, but I did not find it helpful. It demanded me to be available every time I was logged on to the computer and I found it interfered with my task/work. I ended up removing it from my computer.

3. Text Messaging...I have only done this a couple of times, but I would rather call my husband than text message him. Maybe I will use it in the future, but I don't really need to get short messages and I don't feel the need to send them out to anyone...at least yet I don't.

4. Web Conferencing...Last spring I attended a webinar through Johns Hopkins to help me understand more about the EXPLORE test and the benefits of participating in a talent search. I phoned in and then watched a live presentation online as well. I was able to interact and ask questions and found it very useful and helpful. I could see myself holding these types of online conferences rather than face to face ones with my students parents.

No comments: